School Project on TF2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SweetCookie500, Apr 30, 2019.

1. SweetCookie500

SweetCookie500 New Member

Hey ya'll, I'll be away from TF2 for a while? Why? Finishing a school project I left until last minute (due this Friday lol).

Said project is the re-designing of a User Interface of choice (basically what you see on a website and how you can access its product effectively in a visually pleasing manner), and I chose to do a re-design of TF2. I could drop some stuff here if ya'll want to see, I've already got some basic sketches done of what I want to do, and I can even show the final re-design when its done.

Think anyone would be interested in seeing them as I go? :)

2. Roasty++

Roasty++ New Member

As a Design student at University (cuz i suck at everything else dont laugh), I'm interested.

3. SweetCookie500

(I'm not laughing, I'm pursuing Theatre for a career in the future lol)

RE-DESIGN

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 12.21.27 pm.png

ORIGINAL
    Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 9.57.43 pm.png

My designs may not be the best, but eh I try.
    This is what I did for the H.U.D :)

4. Roasty++

Roasty++ New Member

Although the map would be useful for the user, it would dramatically affect the overall gameplay and severally damages a certain frenchman's play style.

Are you also planning on doing other features, such as the main menu?

I suggest looking at huds.tf, for some ideas.

Looks alright so far. 8)

SweetCookie500 likes this.
  5. SweetCookie500

A little fun fact I'll mention for it (but don't need to do for it since there is no coding involved), cloaked or disguised spies won't appear in the enemy colour on the map unless they de-cloak or get rid of their disguises (in the case of the disguises, the map will encourage more effective uses of the disguise feature and may potentially (maybe) train spy players to be more cautious sneaking around). Spies with YER will also result in backstabbed players not showing up in both the kill feed (duh) and their dot won't be removed from the map.

I mainly added a map to the H.U.D because I myself get lost in maps and I needed something extra for the redesign lol

Yeah, I have to do as a minimum the H.U.D, Main Menu and Settings for a Game U.I Redesign.

I'll look into huds.tf to see if I can take some inspiration from there (if I need to)

6. SweetCookie500

So I finished the redesign of the Main Menu. I either made it better or worse than the original, but eh I need something for it xD
    Took a lot longer than the H.U.D to complete.

Before redesign

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 9.52.52 pm.png

After redesign
    Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 11.08.22 am.png

7. Roasty++

Roasty++ New Member

I like how you put the news and livestreams buttons on the border as well. Looks cleaner that way.

The also like the idea of using the red and blue color, but the execution could be better. My biggest issue is the colors on the borders. There is just something I don't like with the red buttons on the blue border and vice versa.

Also I feel like you should put something on the bottom left corner.

Anyways keep up the good work. ;)

SweetCookie500 likes this.
  8. SweetCookie500

I finally finished the re-designs, so now all I have to do is the written stuff haha!

Here's the rest (re-uploading the Main Menu after a bit of a fix-up. I don't have the time, unfortunately, to do a lot more other than what's already there):

Main Menu (re-upload. The 'Player Stats' button looks garbage but EHHH!)
    Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 8.57.26 pm.png

Inventory Re-Design (Might be a bit much with Red and Blue highlights. The 'Cosmetics' is basically where every cosmetic would go, alongside paints, crates, and name-tags and description tags. Each metal crafted will go to the 'Weapons'.)
    Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 8.57.40 pm.png

SETTINGS RE-DESIGN (I felt as if I half-assed this one, but I tried to match it with the Advanced Options U.I which has a more updated look, plus I did combine a few things to this from the Adv. Options (such as the general background, the selection of 'Combat Controls'.)
    Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 8.57.52 pm.png

If I did half-ass some of this, I apologise, but I think this'll do for now :)
    (Typing this I now see an error in one of the images. Oopsies xD)

Matthew Greer likes this.
  9. Roasty++

Roasty++ New Member

I love the inventory screen with the colours. It definitely pops out compared to the original. Although in my opinion I would not put the colours on the crafting button, cosmetics etc.

Although trading is mostly done externally now a days (idk i dont trade) but good thing you put it on the main menu so it is easier to access.

One of the most annoying things is that Options and Adv. Options are seperated, Glad you just put them together!

Nice work!

Matthew Greer and SweetCookie500 like this.
  10. SweetCookie500

Thanks!

Honestly, your feedback did help me in the re-designs. I had sketches prior (as one should have lol) but it's beneficial to hear the opinion of another TF2 player.

Thank you so much :)

11. Manish1234

Manish1234 New Member

I suggest looking at huds.tf, for some ideas.

12. SweetCookie500

Oh, I already handed it in, now I'm just waiting for a mark back for it

I'll still take another look at huds.tf, thanks :)

13. Roasty++

Roasty++ New Member

Well now that I can tell you what I would have done in detail (I didn't want to help you too much on your assignment, because y'know, it's YOUR assignment)

I've would of taken a minimalist approach for the re-design. Like for example, I would have removed the bottom border and made the buttons into icons and move them in the bottom left corner, because the entire right side would be occupied by the TF2 classes.

I would have also switch the shop tab to the friends tab instead, because I think people would have prefer what servers their friends are on over what is in the store.

I'd say more, but don't want to put more thought into it. Because y'know, I don't have assessment on it :p

But still, good work on your re-design :D

14. SweetCookie500

You have some very good ideas, I find them quite interesting :)

Maybe we could rework them in the future together, then share them online lol