zs_crevasse dev thread

Discussion in 'Zombie Survival' started by Silver, Mar 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Silver

Silver New Member

So I made this from another TF2 map that I made. Currently, this map is in active development.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

#1 Silver, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  2. Jack5

Jack5 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I will download and check this map, then post any flaws with it below.

3. Silver

Silver New Member

Thanks, I'm currently aware that there are some graphical bugs and some inconsistencies with symmetry. Gameplay, I have no clue.

4. Jack5

Jack5 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Any updates to the map made before this post are not suitable for the Zombie Survival rotation.
    • You are using an improper naming system. zs_creviceb2 should be zs_crevice_b2. Also, you shouldn't need to include a version number in the filename if it has not yet been added to the Zombie Survival rotation.
    • Cubemaps have not been built, resulting in some floors and windows having pink-and-black checkerboard reflections. Instructions on how to resolve this issue:
      • 1. Open the map and enter the command 'mat_specular 0', then 'buildcubemaps'. Close the map.
      • 2. Open the map and enter the command 'mat_specular 1'. Close the map.
      • 3. Open the map. Everything should be fixed.
    • Much of the map is far too open and uses simple textures without much detail.
    • Note-holding model in spawn room has flickering textures. You will need to remove this.
    • Thin wall-mounted models have VPhysics on. Disable this.
    • Wall lighting in spawn room is unnatural.
    • Some floor brushes have been raised by a tiny amount, but this is noticeable and must be fixed.
    • Curved lamp in area where floor brush has been raised by a tiny amount looks unnatural. Use a different prop.
    • Entire non-grassy underground section has been hastily put together from the size of the hallways to the rock floor (not a displacement) to the textures and models and lack of detail.
    • func_respawnroomvisualisers exist. Delete these.
    • All non-fluorescent lighting is unnatural.
    • Blue spawn room uses red siren model.
    • Giant invisible walls and incoherent textures near these.
    • Lighting outside is poor.
    • Pole bridging across crevice has not been clipped properly, walking across it does not bridge the gap properly.
    My advice is to close off the outdoor area and simply use it as a cosmetic, instead focusing on players having to navigate the bottom of the crevice and indoors. This means you will have to create multiple pathways up into the indoor section, as your one open area is too open for medics to stand a chance.
    Basically, the map is too rocket-jump friendly for Zombie Survival.

5. Silver

Silver New Member

New Update! I attempted to improve as much as I could today. The outside is a little brighter in terms of environment light, the pole has some strange clipping now that helps a bit, fences have been added near the invisible wall, and there are tons of rocks in mid to reduce size. Other stuff like bugfixes were done too, it's a moderately large update.

6. Jack5

Jack5 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I have taken SCREENSHOTS, for once. Addresses problems in version 3.

7. Silver

Silver New Member

I noticed cubemaps are still broken, even though I built them multiple times, I even modified the archive to make absolute sure they weren't broken. What could be causing this?

8. Jack5

Jack5 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I am unsure. Perhaps I should build cubemaps for you.

9. Silver

Silver New Member

Oh hey, another update. I attempted to add as much as I could, the props weren't fixed though (I don't know what's wrong with the lights) and the ramp still looks sort of bad.

The "Window" isn't even a window, it's a hatch for both teams to go through, but it looks worse without doors. Unfortunately, the cubemaps are still broken, but the VMF is included in the download for you to see what's bugging it out.

10. Jack5

Jack5 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Bad news: there is already a map called 'Crevice'. Even though it doesn't use the same prefix as yours (it uses VSH), you will have to change the name to avoid confusion. I would also recommend changing the GameBanana title to "Zombie Survival <name>". (Crevasse isn't being used)

Again, I have taken screenshots of your map in b4 and deleted those screenshots I took in b3.

Btw, what version are you uploading? The map inside your TF folder (after building cubemaps) or the map rendered by Hammer? You must upload the TF folder version, as it has the cubemaps stored.

11. Silver

Silver New Member

Update versions 4 & 5: Fixed cubemaps, changed name, fixed some bugs

Jack5 is modding version 5 currently

12. Jack5

Jack5 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sorry but I have been busy with editing a video. As soon as it's over I'll try to get to your map.

13. Jack5

Jack5 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've been trying hard to get things done but more and more other stuff keeps piling up. I really want to help you, but I feel that I won't be able to do as good of a job as you have because the map is so bare bones. I'm usually only good with working with pre-existing maps. I still have edits on file, and hopefully I will be able to finish them off and send the product to you as well as additional recommendations.